Monday, April 13, 2015

Solo Sea kayak in Bacuit Bay

Bacuit Bay's gorgeous islands and coral reefs are best accessed by kayak. Over 22 islands easily navigated by kayak, but I reached only one at the closest beach  today. Almost all are uninhabited with deserted beaches scattered around the shoreline. Many are flanked by majestic limestone cliffs and occasionally hidden lagoons and caves cut into some of these cliffs, best reached by the peaceful dipping of a kayak paddle.

I researched online for the route and rights of way the night before, and I made sure that I had enough drinking water and snacks to fuel me throughout the day. I bought a waterproof bag for my iPhone at the lad minute and I brought snorkeling gears with me. I rent one yellow kayak and launched from El Nido Town beach after the tour boats left.

The day was started with big waves so the coast guard and the Kayla shop wanted me to stay within the Bay. When the wind got down a little, I got my kayak via the channel and reached the nearest island. 

The water was ok from my first launch but once i reached the open channel between the town and the island, the swells got a bigger but I was worried it became rough to ass through so I prayed.  I was pretty exhausted when reached the shore and asked the other two kayakers to help me to dock on the shore. 

With an area spanning at least 10 square kilometers, Cadlao Island is really big and we were not expecting to cover all of it being a novice kayaker as me. My main goal was to reach the Cadlao Beach.

After 2 hrs rest, lunch and snokolling, I was ready to head back.  It took about 1 hr to paddle back, but my kayak tipped over by a big wave at the shore and knock away my favorite baseball hat! Fortunately, everything else stayed.










No comments:

Post a Comment